Thursday, May 8, 2008

SKATE YOUR LANE;; THREE

PART THREE:

I told my best friend about my day with Sidney, sparing little detail, because knowing Henry, he'd drag it out of me anyways.
"So, he told Cole you two are going out?!" he exclaimed, shoving a handful of popcorn in his face.
"Well, yeah. I told Sid about Cole getting all creepy, so he stepped up for me."
"How cute," Henry laughed.
"Shut up! I don't even know him that well. Plus he plays with Marc." I sighed a little.
"You invited him here. You never, ever, ever do that with anyone you don't know extremely well."
"I dunno," I shrugged, "I've never felt so comfortable around anyone like I do around Sidney.. Oh whatever. I can't do anything yet. It's way too soon." "If you don't make a move, someone else will," Henry said, then got up.
"Night."
"You too," I answered, noticing it was almost twelve thirty.

I got up at five thirty, did my morning routine, and left at six. By six twenty, I was at the rink, making my way to the locker room with my stuff.
I always bring my skates, mad-libs, cards, other fun games, and lots of snacks. I went in as the guys were suiting up in their practice jerseys and such, and I set my bag down on the bench closest to my designated locker.
"No Monopoly?" Marc asked as he walked over.
"Nah. Don't want Coach to shoot me."
Last time I brought it, the guys took turns playing for each other, and they were more interested in the game rather than practicing.
"Hey Brie!"
"What?" I looked to Colby, who was sitting with Evgeni, or 'Gee' as I call him.
"Sid's looking for you. He's been wandering the halls like a lost dog for the past half hour."
"Where's he at?"
"Last time I saw, the vending machines," Evgeni answered.
I rolled my eyes and went into the hall.
"Sidney," I called, peering down an empty hallway.
"Hey Aubrie," I heard his voice behind me. I spun around, only to be greeted by Sidney's smiling face.
"Long time no see," I laughed as we went back into the locker room.

At six forty-five, practice began. Everyone was on the ice warming up, and I simply skated around with my digital camera taking pictures of the guys making funny faces and goofing off.
Coach Therrien had decided to spend about an hour with each line, then have a half hour scrimmage at the end, which would be around noon. Marc and Jocelyn were to take turns with the lines, and both would scrimmage.
Jocelyn was up with Sidney's line, so Marc came and sat with me.

"You really like him, don't you?" I stared at my brother, totally speechless.
"Like who?"
"Sid."
"Oh.. What gave you that idea?" I switched into French so no one could eavesdrop.
"Oh, come on. I see the way you look at him."
"We're just friends, Marc."
We continued to talk, but as the conversation progressed, it became heated, and very aggressive.
"Why can't you just move on?! God, get over yourself!" Marc was now on his feet, shouting at me, "it's been well over a year!"
His outburst stung me.. How could he say that to my face, right as Sidney, Mark, Jordan, Gee and Colby walked in? I got up, and left the locker room, muttering curses. I wandered around aimlessly, trying not to cry. I finally got tired of walking, and plopped down against a wall, pulling my knees to my chest, I let go.
Sobbing and crying until I heard someone close by. I looked up, and saw Sidney. His facial expression grew soft, as he came and sat by me, pulling me into a comforting hug. Resting my head in his chest, I sniffled a bit, and continued to cry quietly.

[SIDNEY'S POV]
My line and I walked into the locker room, just in time to catch the last of Marc and Brie's fight. Though it wasn't in English, I could tell that what Marc had said upset Brie, and caused her to get up, rushing into the halls.
Something told me that I needed to make sure she was alright, so I grabbed my zip up practice sweatshirt, and followed.
I didn't see the direction she went, so I just walked around until I heard what sounded like a faint sobbing.
Sitting next to Brie, I pulled her close, trying to offer her what comfort and protection I could. Then I realized that her own brother had done this to her, and my anger began to rise.
Aubrie was now silent, but her body was shaking.
"Cold?" I asked, and she nodded. I helped her into my jacket, and rewrapped my arms, pulling her in again.
"Thanks Sidney," she muttered into me. I was going to ask about what Marc had said, but decided not to press it. She'll tell me when she's ready.

[AUBRIE'S POV]
We sat like that, on the floor, in complete silence until Colby and Jordan showed up.
"You okay, Brie?" Jordan asked, full of concern. I let go of Sidney, and stood up.
"I'll be alright. Thanks." I helped pull Sid up, and the four of use walked back to the ever popular locker room.
Luckily Marc was on the ice, so I sat on a bench, staring at the wall while Mark, Sidney, Jordan, and a couple of other guys were on the other side of the room, talking about who knows what.
My phone vibrated, and I pulled it out.
"Allo?" I asked.
"Hey Bubbles."
"Henry!" I pronounced with a thick accent.
"What's up?" he asked in a worried voice.
"Marc-Andre brought him up again.."
"Oh.. Nathan. It's been almost a year and a half now, huh?"
"Yeah, two Wednesdays from now. I can't sit around here anymore, so I'm heading home."
"Alright. I'll see if I can leave soon, kay?"
"Mmhmm," I nodded, "see you soon."
"Bye." I hung up, shoving the phone into my pocket. I got up, and went over to the guys.
"I'm gonna go home. I've had enough today. See you all later."

I left the rink, unaware of my follower.
"Brie, wait up!" I heard, so I stopped and turned around.
"Oh, hey Sid."
"You forgot your stuff," he was holding my bag with him.
"Ah.. Yeah. Thanks. I guess you want your jacket back too?" I sighed inwardly, loving the way it smelt and how it fit me.
"Nah, you can keep it for a bit. But I did want to ask if I could have your number.."
"Yeah sure, if you give me yours," I smiled a bit. He gave me my bag, and we exchanged numbers.
"I'll call you after practice, ok?"
"Sure. Talk to you then. Oh, and thanks so much, again," I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before unlocking my dark gray Volkswagen Rabbit and getting in.
But he understands the situation my brother has created, and knows exactly how to handle it.
He was waiting for me on my bed with the usual assortment of snacks consisting of Zingers, Ruffles, peanut butter, Goldfish, raspberry Milanos, oreos, and a tub of Ben and Jerry's half baked.
"I wasn't sure if I should get out the album," he referred to all the pictures I'd saved of my time with Nathan.
"No, not this time," I half smiled, knowing I'd made some progress.

No comments: