Monday, May 12, 2008

SKATE YOUR LANE;; TWENTYEIGHT

PART TWENTY EIGHT:

Henry thought for a minute.
"So you don't even have a reason?! Just woke up and thought, 'Oh, hey! I'll try to kill myself today..'"
"I felt so alone," he finally admitted.
"Henry, you've never been alone! You've always had me. You've got Marc, Sidney, all your friends from work and home."
"Yeah, but seeing you and Sid together.. just. I felt empty and like I'm missing out."
"Oh, Hen," I sat on his bed, placing my hand on his.
"You just haven't found the right girl yet. You can't give up because things didn't work out with Taya. She's just one girl. There's millions of us out there."
"But how will I know when I find her?"
"You just know," I smiled, glancing out the window at Sidney, who was talking animatedly to Marc.
"You see Sidney out there?" I asked, "He and the team just lost game three to the Sens. Sure, he's hurting. But you see how it doesn't get him down? He finds a way to make it better next time and every time after that. He wants to improve."
"Well I'm sorry we can't all be like him."
"Tell me about it. I wish I could do that. But even he has his breaking points."
"How do you know?"
"I pushed him there," I lowered my head.
"But none of that matters. You're alive, and not in a coma," I smiled. Then Dr. Lewis stepped in.
"Aubrie, could I talk to you for a minute?" I nodded, following him into the hall. Marc and Sidney said they were gonna find the vending machines, and went off.

"Okay. So, we're going to keep Mr. Ryan under close watch for the next day, but I'd like to transfer him to the psychiatric wing and get him some in-hospital therapy."
"But.. he's not insane."
"That may be, but it's required in these situations, so hopefully he won't try it again."
"Oh," was all I could say.
"It won't be for too long. Just a week or two. You can visit him whenever you like, and for however long. But if he has a deep rooted psychosomatic problem.. We'll have to send him to a facility." He put a hand on my shoulder, "I know you must be worried... And we're trying our best to prevent this young man from an untimely death." He then went into Henry's room as I slid to the floor, crying.

Sidney came shortly after,
"I kinda lost Marc, but.. Brie?"
"They want to keep him in the psych ward," I stuttered out, leaning into Sid once he was sitting next to me. "And if they don't think he's okay, they'll send him to an institution."
"They're just trying to help him," Sidney continued to tell me encouraging things until I calmed down.
"He never once let on that he was depressed," I sighed.
"Maybe he didn't know himself."
"Oh Sidney. I'm so sorry you have to be here. You should be with your family, telling them about everything they've been missing.. Not in a hospital."
"Nuh-uh. I'm here for you. All the time, every time you need it."
"Thanks Sid," I gave him a soft kiss.
"I want you to go home and play Jenga with your parents and sister. I know Mario has it somewhere."
"I'm not leaving you here like this."
"It's okay. Marc's here. He'll make sure I won't have a total mental breakdown."
He began to protest, but my brother came up to us.
"Man, you look beat. Go home and get some sleep. We've got practice tomorrow."
"Oh, and will you tell your mum that I won't be able to come shopping tomorrow, and that I'm sorry."
"No, because you're going."
"What?!"
"I know you. You're gonna stay here overnight if you can, then be here until he gets released or transferred. You need to get out and do stuff. Time will only go by slower if you're cooped up in here."
"Fine. Guess I shouldn't have canceled practice either, eh?"
"Nope. You should un-cancel it," he smiled.
"You've convinced her to get out of here?" Marc asked in shock, "Man. You're good. Teach me your ways."
"It's all in the eyes. They have to pout too, or else it doesn't work. You have much to learn, grasshopper."
"I'll let you guys have your class. I'm gonna go call Jared."

I went outside for better reception.
"Jaaaarrreeed," I called when he answered.
"Oh, heyyyy Brieeee," he laughed.
"What, you too busy for your CB?"
"No," he groaned, "I'm just studying for my French class."
He was in a second level course.
"You having troubles?"
"Yeah. It's damn body parts and crap."
"Well, I'm at the hospital and stuff for Henry like I said earlier, so I'm gonna be here for a while, probably most of the night. You can come and I'll help you out."
"Kay."
"But un-cancel practice."
"Oh. about that.. I never called anyone about it."
"Cool, so just come out. Bring your book, study guide, and note cards. We'll make you some flash cards." "Thanks, I'll see you in a few."

I went back in as Sid was heading out.
"Mm, so I'll see you tomorrow then?"
"Yeah. You're coming for dinner mum said?"
"Yeah."
He pulled me into a hug, and I gave him a long kiss.
"Call if you need anything."
"Will do."
"Bye babe," he kissed me one more time before leaving.
"Marc!" I called once I was in the waiting room.
"What?"
"You can go home and sleep. Jared's coming, and I'm gonna help him study for his French test."
"You sure?"
"Positive," I nodded, and my brother hugged me tightly.
"Buh-bye now," I smiled, and he waved as he walked out.
Jared came in ten minutes later, and we at on the floor of the waiting room, making flash cards.
"So, when's this test?"
"Tomorrow. I have to go in and make it up after practice."
"You ditched a test?"
"I was exhausted. Overslept after a long ass practice."
"I know.. I've really been pushing you guys, eh?"
He nodded.
"I'm sorry. I just want you to do great at Nationals."
"Yeah, we all know. Now say it in French."

No comments: