Monday, May 12, 2008

SKATE YOUR LANE;; TWENTYSIX

PART TWENTY SIX:

At 3:45, Taylor and I were downstairs in Mellon Arena, waiting for her parents.
We'd gotten ready at the apartment beforehand; I did her hair in a cute, high ponytail, then found some black and gold eyeliner, drawing out a large '87' on her cheek. She was wearing a shirt she'd made herself, where I had on the All Star jersey. But I did pull my hair up into a loose bun, letting Taylor put an 87 on my cheek in red, so we could sorta match.
Upon entering Mellon, we'd received black and gold plastic beads, so we had those too.
Soon enough, Trina and Troy came down, grins on their faces. But their smiles only grew when they saw us.
"Well, don't you girls look adorable!" Trina gushed.
"How was everything?" Troy asked me while Trina was talking to Taylor.
"It was really cool. She's a great kid.. Steady hand," I motioned to my face, making him laugh.

Then we saw Jarkko Ruutu, Gary Roberts, and Sidney making their way down the hall.
"These yours?" Gary laughed, pointing at us.
"Uh.. no?" Sidney shook his head, and I crossed my arms.
"She looks pretty mad for someone that isn't yours. Hey Brie," Jarkko grinned.
"Hey," I smiled back, waving to Gary.
"What, no hi for me?" Sidney asked as the other two kept going.
"Sorry, do I know you?" I tried my hardest to keep a straight face.
"Brie, don't be like this."
"I'm not, now say hello to your father," I spun him in his direction, knowing he never spoke to his mother before a game.
Once he got to his sister, a huge smile was all over his face.
"Wow, I almost didn't recognize you! You look so grown up and pretty," he told her as she wrapped her arms around his neck in a hug.
I was last in line, like usual, and gave him a tight hug and a peck on the lips.
"Sid, you guys are amazing. I want you to know- it doesn't matter how far you get, it's how much fun you make it."
"Thanks Aubs," he kissed my cheek.
"I have to start getting ready, so you guys can all go wander around the place or whatever. I'll see you all at the after party," he told us.

We said our byes and good lucks, but Sid grabbed my hand, waiting for his family to get about thirty yards away before pulling me into him.
"That was not a good luck kiss earlier," he told me.
"You don't need luck when you've got skill," I smirked, leaning up for a long, tender kiss.
Near the end of it, I heard Trina say, "Aubrie! You'll have to show us-- oh my. Troy, look!"
I quickly pulled away, slightly embarrassed, but Sidney pulled me back, reconnecting our lips.
"Bon chance," I breathed once we parted for the second time.
"Merci," he winked before leaning in closer and whispering, "Love you."
I blushed a little, mumbling back, "Je t'aime aussi. I'll see you after the game."
I gave him one more kiss before rejoining his parents and Taylor.
Trina was still glued to her spot, a very excited, dreamy look on her face, and Troy seemed extremely proud of his son. Taylor was just making gagging noises and pretending to barf.
"Taylor, be quiet!" Trina snapped, immediately hushing her.
"Sorry mum."

At our seats, or well, my usual spot on the glass, Trina sighed, "I've never seen him like that before."
"Yeah, you've managed to do something that hockey can't," Troy told me with a small grin.
"And what would that be?"
"Make him nervous," they both told me almost simultaneously.
"Really? I never noticed it.. He was really freaked out about asking me on dates and that sort of stuff.."
Trina shook her head, "I know, but I raised that boy, and he's definitely nerve racked around you."
"I don't mean to make him so nervous," I ran a hand through my hair.
"No, no. He over analyzes everything people say and do, and thinks everyone else does too," Troy told me.
"Sidney is simply nervous about saying or doing something that'll contradict the way he feels about you. He's never had a girl like you in his life before, and he doesn't want to let go," Trina smiled, "and frankly, I wouldn't want him to."
"Thank you, Mrs. Crosby."
"Trina, dear."
"Alright, thanks Trina."

"Hey, would you be interested in coming on a girls' day shopping trip tomorrow?" she asked shortly after our conversation about Sidney ended.
"Uh.. It would have to depend on time. I have a practice scheduled." I quickly answered Sid's text asking if she'd mentioned shopping.
"We can work around practice if you want."
"Okay. It's from nine thirty to one in the afternoon, so I could meet you somewhere for lunch, then we could get shopping."
"Good idea," she smiled, then told Troy of our plans.
"And you'll join us for dinner too, right Brie?"
"Uh-" I hesitated, "yeah. Thanks."

By the end of the second period, it was 2-1, the Senators in control.
During the first few minutes of the intermission, I spoke with Troy about the plays, but my phone rang.
"Hello?"
"Yes, is this Aubrie Fleury?" a woman asked.
"Yeah, why?"
"Well, Miss Fleury, I'm a nurse at the Pinebrook Hospital, and you are the first name on Mr. Ryan's contact list." "What happened? Is he okay?"
"I'd prefer it it we spoke in person."
"It's that serious?"
"I'm afraid so."
"I'll be right there," I hung up.
"Hun, what's wrong? You're as pale as a ghost," Trina asked.
"I need to go," I answered her.
"But, there's only one more period left. Can't it wait?" Taylor whined.
"No. It's an emergency. I need to go now."
"Alright," I didn't hear the rest of Trina's sentence; I was halfway up the stairs.

I entered the all too familiar urgent care wing of the hospital, walking to the desk.
"Hi, I'm here for Henry Ryan.."
"Oh, yes. You're Aubrie Fleury, right?"
I nodded, and she led me to the waiting room, telling me that she'd go get Dr. Lewis. I sat down in the uncomfortable chair, trying not to freak out.

No comments: