Monday, May 12, 2008

SKATE YOUR LANE;; TWENTYTWO

PART TWENTY TWO:

I taped the note to the jacket, it read;
'Sidney- figured you'd want your jacket back. Good luck in the playoffs. -Aubrie'
I took a minute or two to look at the pictures he'd taped up in his equipment space.
There were a few of his family and friends from home, and then there were several of us over the past few months. My favourite, by far, was the one that Jocelyn had taken at the airport after a long road trip.

I waited around outside the security point for the guys to come back, nervously tapping my foot. It'd been nearly a week and a half since I'd seen Sidney, and I was going insane. Every time a flight let out, my head shot up from my iPod, and I would watch everyone excitedly, only to be disappointed by the strangers. I shoved my iPod in my Tigger backpack, pulling it on as they announced the flight from Buffalo.
The guys slowly drifted out, and I finally spotted Sidney in the middle of the crowd.
I immediately jumped up, running over to him and threw myself into his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist as he locked his hands beneath my legs to hold me up, kissing him like crazy, not noticing the cat calls or flashes from cameras.
As soon as we were pried off each other, Jocelyn grinned, showing us the pictures on his camera, and Sidney made him print them out.


My eyes drifted down to a soccer ball at the bottom of his locker, so I grabbed it and messed around for a few minutes.
"Yeah, I just gotta get my stuff," I heard from the hall, but I didn't really care to notice exactly who's voice it was. The door opened and I didn't bother to look up. I was too focused on my twenty kick juggling streak.
"Aubrie?" Sidney's voice rang out, making me spin around, my foot still in the air trying to keep the ball up, but I fell instead.
"Are you ok?" He asked, attempting to help me up.
"I'm fine," I told him, pulling away from his grasp, then putting the ball back.
"Sorry to bother you. I just came back to get something," he said, staring at the floor.
"It's cool, I actually came down here to get my poster. So I'll just go now," I was halfway to the door when Sid finally replied.
"I saw you in the crowd tonight."
"I know, I'm sorry I messed you up."
"Really? I couldn't stop thinking about how I had messed up."
"Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore." "Why?"
"After I finish up with the boys at Nationals, I'm going to move back home to Quebec."

Yeah, I'd made up my mind in the lot with Marc. I wouldn't be able to handle bumping into Sid because of my brother. I could barely handle it now.

"What! How come?! You can't.."
"Why can't I?"
He looked around, hesitant for a few seconds.
"See, there's no reason for me to stay here."
Sid finally gained eye contact before uttering four words that made my heart burst stop, "Because I love you."
"Don't go saying things you don't mean," I stuttered, not sure of what to do.
"I wouldn't have said it if I really didn't mean it," he told me, a soft smile set on his lips.
"I-- I have to go," I turned around and rushed out the door, running sprinting to my car.
Once I got in and buckled up, I just sat there thinking.
I'd made yet another huge mistake by not telling Sidney that I loved him too, and I ran out on him. I realized how dumb I was being, so I got out of the car and walked back to the arena's locker rooms

Sure enough, Sidney was still in there, staring vacantly at the pictures surrounding his uniform. he turned around at the sound of the door closing behind me, and once I saw him, I melted.
His cheeks and all around his eyes were red and puffy, his usually lively brown eyes were dark and dull. I could swear I saw a few tears wiped across his face too.
"Sidney, I'm sorry," I began.
"No. Save it. You don't want to be with me. It's fine. I get it."
"No, you obviously don't, because I came back here for a reason."
He gazed down a bit to stare at me.
"I realized that I don't really like you," I paused, "but I love you."
"How do I know you're not the one lying?"
"Trust me, I would already be in Sorel if I didn't. You're one of the few people I can really trust, and I'm sorry about everything I said."
"And I'm sorry for not telling you when I should have. You're a part of this team too, and I know that."
"It's okay. I get why you didn't. I'll just.. uh, yeah," I motioned to the door.
"Here, wait," he pulled his jacket off the hanger, handing it to me.
"But-"
He shook his head, "You're still my girlfriend, right?"
"Yeah, of course," I nodded.
"Then keep it."
I smiled, quickly pressing my lips to his.
"Let me walk you to your car," he offered with a grin, grabbing his equipment bag.

As we strolled aimlessly through Mellon, we talked and joked around, and after a bit I felt him slip his hand into mine, lacing our fingers together. I swung our hands back and forth, listening to Sid's story.
We finally made our way out to my car, and we were now standing outside the driver side door.
"Sidney, I have to go home," I muttered in protest in between kisses.
"Why?"
"I scheduled practice for the boys tomorrow.."
"Cancel it."
"I can't. There's a scout coming."
"Oooh. In that case.. No," he silenced my arguments with a knee-buckling kiss, making me forget whatever I was going to say.
"Mmm, that's an extremely good offer, but no. I can't cancel on them with Nationals in May. How about next time you get a few days off, we spend it at my place," I winked in a joking manner, but Sid thought I was serious.
"Definitely. I have Thursday and Friday off," he grinned.
"Oh you're such a guy!" I rolled me eyes, smiling at his cuteness dirty mind.

The next day at practice the kids all noticed how upbeat I was, and instantly knew why.
"Aw, so you and Sidney finally made up?" Jared teased as he pulled his undershirt on to gear up.
"Yeah," I grinned, "how'd you guess?"
"Tu.. uh... ne fais pas la tete..?" He used his French vocab from the section his class was learning.
"Good try, and I never sulked!"
"Yeah? Then what do you call sitting on the bench and staring into space all practice? How about not smiling or laughing for the past week, too? I think that's considered sulking."
"Call it what you want, but I'm not anymore!" I answered in a sing-song voice, lacing up my skates.
"Hey CB, someone's here for you," Brett came in with Mike, who looked very flustered.
I walked out the door to the ice muttering, "If it's that damn Sam guy, I swear I'll--"
I shut up as soon as I saw Sidney out on the ice in his practice stuff.
"Sid!" I grinned, skating out to him at center ice.
"What are you doing here?"
"I'm doing some hands on scouting for our minor league team, and I heard that these kids are pretty amazing." "You can say that again."

After a rather interesting practice, Sidney told me he was being totally serious about scouting our team. He'd seen a lot from everyone, but said that only a few could be picked up immediately after graduation, and the others would probably have to wait until after college. He loved the energy and flow of the team, but especially between Casey and Jared. He said that they had amazing potential. It was really adorable how into it he actually got.

No comments: