Tuesday, July 1, 2008

SKATE YOUR LANE;; SIXTYFOUR

SIXTYFOUR;;

The door opened not long after I rang the bell, and I saw Sidney in a nice pair of slacks and a button-up dress shirt, his sleeves rolled halfway up his arms.
"Come on in," he smiled softly, putting my nerves at ease for the moment.
I stepped inside the house and Sidney removed my coat, resting it over a chair in the 'sitting room'.
Sidney took my hand into his, as my other one was tugging at the long, silver chained Tiffany's necklace he had given me nearly a year ago, my eyes catching a glimpse of the ring I received for our six month anniversary.. All reminders of our past year together.

Sidney pulled me into the formal dining room, where I saw plates, glasses and candles set for two.
He pulled out a chair and I sat down, examining the chicken, green beans and pasta, along with a caesar salad that laid in front of me.
Sid took the seat across from me, and I grinned.
"You made all this, didn't you?"
He nodded sheepishly, "Happy anniversary."
My smile widened, a wave of relief flooding over me.
I picked up the wine glass that had a golden liquid in it, and I smelled it.
"Apple juice?" I asked, an eyebrow raised.
"Well, obviously," Sidney responded, "one; we're underage. And two, alcohol is bad for the baby."
I felt my face turn bright red, and Sidney beamed at me from across the table.

"So you're not mad?" I asked cautiously.
"Mad at what, you being pregnant? Of course not, how could I be? I helped too.."
I nodded, looking down at my plate and picking at a green bean with my fork.

"I've been really thinking about this, Aubrie, and I know what we're getting ourselves into... Or, I have a vague idea."
"Yeah," I nodded again.
"Don't get me wrong. I want kids and everything. I would love to have little versions of us running around.. I just wasn't expecting it to be so soon.."
"Tell me about it. I feel the same way.. It's scary to think about seven months from now."
"Yeah, but we'll get through it together," Sidney smiled, which put a matching grin on my face.

After a wonderful and amazing dinner, Sidney and I were in his room.
I was sitting on his bed, and Sid was rummaging around in his stuff.
"Ahh, here it is," he smirked, pulling out a pastel yellow, wrapped box with a green ribbon around it.
"Voila. My anniversary present to you," he said, handing me the box.
"Sid.. I didn't bring your present.."
He held his hand up, "It's no problem. Just open it."
I noticed Sidney watching me carefully unwrap the gift and pull the lid off the box, a proud look on his face the whole time.
I moved the tissue paper, and I felt my eyes fill up with tears as my heart raced.
"Oh Sidney," I breathed as I lifted up the small mess of black fabric, carefully inspecting the stitching, a bright grin on my face.
He had gotten a baby-sized Pens jersey, 'Crosby' on the back, as well as Sid's number, with the Pen's logo on the front.
"This is adorable," I cooed at the jersey, setting it back in the box and pulling Sidney into a kiss.

He pushed me back into his bed, hovering above me before asking, "Is this ok?"
"Is what okay?" I asked back, playing with the top button of his shirt.
"You know.. What we're about to do. Will this hurt the little one?" he specified, setting a hand on my ever growing stomach with a soft smile.
"It's fine. I made sure to ask Dr. Roy at my last appointment."
"When's your next one?"
"Tomorrow," I answered.
"I want to come with you.."
"I'd like that," I grinned, setting my hands on his neck and tugging him down to press our lips together.

The next morning I woke up to Sidney's voice telling me it was time to get up.
I sat up, rubbing my eyes, when the scent of pancakes and bacon hit my nose.
I covered my mouth, jumping out of the bed and running past Sidney, into the bathroom to empty the few contents of my stomach.
When I was done, I went back to find Sidney sitting on his bed, a plate of pancakes, bacon and raspberries in his lap.
"You made me breakfast?" I asked, and he nodded.
"Sorry I made you sick," he said in an apologetic tone.
"It wasn't you, really. It's the 'morning' sickness," I said, picking up the glass of orange juice he had set on the nightstand, "and thank you. You're really a sweetheart."
"No problem," he answered, putting the plate beside him and standing up, "when's your appointment?"
"One..? Yeah," I nodded, glancing at the clock to see eleven am.

At Dr. Roy's office, I was seated on the exam bed like usual, and Sidney was sitting on the designated chair for guests.
"Ah, so you must be the proud dad-to-be," Dr. Roy smiled when he walked in, shaking Sidney's hand, "I'm Derek Roy."
"Sidney Crosby," he nodded back.
Dr. Roy chuckled, "I know you you are, young man. Now, let's get started."
The whole time, Sidney asked questions.
"What should we do if..?"
"When will she..?"
"What kinds of activities can't she do? Is she still allowed to play hockey?" Sidney asked as Dr. Roy started the ultrasound.
I grabbed Sid's hand, squeezing it gently, "Relax, please."
Sidney nodded, shooting me an apologetic look.
"You can still play.. Skate, pass, yes. But try not to get slammed into those boards. A fall shouldn't be too bad. You just need to take extra care and be cautious."
"Sid, my mum fell off of a bike with Marc-Andre in the womb, and look how he turned out."
A look of fear crossed Sidney's face, and I hit him playfully, giggling at the cool jelly on my stomach.
"Is that it?" Sidney asked, mesmerized by the gray image on the screen as he pointed to a spot.
"No," Dr. Roy laughed, showing us how tiny and insignificant this all had seemed before, but it was now just hitting me.
Truthfully.. I'm not sure I really even saw anything on that monitor besides fuzz..

"Thank you so much, Dr. Roy," I smiled, and Sidney shook his hand once more before we went and made another appointment with Melissa for a few weeks from now.
In the elevator downstairs, Sidney rested his forehead against mine, his hands on my hips and a smile set on his beaming face.
"Guess what, Aubs."
"What?" I whispered back.
"We're having a baby.."
"I know," I grinned, placing a soft kiss on his smiling lips.

8 comments:

Kayla Elizabeth said...

Loved it!

said...

awwwwww that was so sweet!! I wish i had a boyfriend as nice as Sidney!

kemilyyyyy said...

awwwwwwwwwww soooooooooo cute

said...

this is getting so good. im excited :]

i got my friend into reading it and she was over my house and she read the whole thing in one night while i slept haha.
now everytime you put a new one up, we read it together. we're losers, i know. but its so addictinggg <3

Aeryn said...

AWWWWW! That was so sweet and cute. it just brings a smile to your face. :)

Dev said...

So I ran across this story by accident back in June and completely fell in love with it. Parker, you're a fantastic writer...I can't wait for the next installment!!!!

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

Parker you know how much I love you & your story...so there`s really no point in me saying that.

But I loved this chapter so much, even though I was scared to start reading it after the last chapter.

Can`t wait for more when you get back. Have fun in Montana.

said...

okay, i've been reading your story for a couple months now, and i have to say it's just amazing!
i love it, you're an amazing writer, and i can't wait for the next part!