Monday, October 27, 2008

SKATE YOUR LANE;; SEVENTY

SEVENTY;;

After spending the previous day in bed with Sidney, the Pens had a game against Ottawa today at three, so Sid went.
I decided to stay home, too tired to sit through an entire game, so I sat on my couch instead.
Henry finally decided to show up after spending most of his free time with his new girlfriend, Vienna.
She was good for him, so I didn't mind their spending time together.
We sat on the couch with my laptop, watching episodes of Cabbie on the Street on thescore.ca.
"Hey look, it's the one where Cabbie interviews me!" I laughed, clicking on the link to play the whole video.
"NHL Siblings?" Henry chuckled his famous 'Henry laugh'

"Hey this is your man Cabbie and today we're talking to and about NHL sibilings!"
He talked to the Sedins, Neidermeyers, the Staal boys, the Kostitsyns, and then me.
"Now Aubrie, you're obviously not in the NHL, but your brother, Marc-Andre Fleury, is."
"Gee Cabbie, thanks for reminding me," I laughed.
"So what's it like? Your big brother being a pro goalie and all?"
"Well, it fucking sucks!" I joked, "But really? My brother can be a jerk when we play. He shows no mercy because I'm better at scoring than he is at goaltending."
"And you're his sister? No mercy at all?"
"I know!" I pointed off camera to Marc, "and I won't forget all of those times, either, Marc-Andre."
"Ooh, sounds like someone's got some blackmail all up in here!" Cabbie grinned.
"Oh, definitely."
"Wanna share some of that with me?"
"Maybe later," I shrugged.
"So, you want me to like, call you or something?" he asked, and I shot him a weird look.
"Uh, are you trying to get my number? You do know my boyfriend is right over there.."
"Where?" he asked, and I pointed to Sidney, who was with my brother.
"Oh, wow.. Nuh-uh. No way," Cabbie laughed.
"Yes way."
"You mean you and your brother?"
"Ew, Cabbie! No. Sid, not Marc-Andre."
"Phew, that's a relief. Wait- you and Sidney Crosby?" he blurted, and I smiled.
"See ya, Cabbie," I waved before leaving the dressing room and he talked to my brother.


"How awkward was that?" I laughed, and Henry nodded, looking through my bookmarks for a new site.
"University of Pittsburgh? Carnegie Mellon? Duquesne?" he asked, seeing I had a bunch of college sites saved.
"Yeah.. I was thinking about signing up for some classes in fall or winter, depending on baby. I want to actually do something with my life.. Not just be 'that girl Sidney Crosby knocked up'. You know?"
"I think that's a really good idea," he nodded in support.
"There's just one problem. I want to go to play hockey. But I know it's not in the cards right now- don't even bother reminding me."
"So what? Enroll and take classes, then when you get settled with the baby and everything, join the team."
"Yeah.." I nodded.
"What made you want to go do this? Once we left Sorel, you didn't want to even think about college ever again."
"Hen, that's not true. I didn't want to go at the time because I was messed up. Then I met Sidney and everything changed. And there's also the fact that I don't want to coach high schoolers for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and the guys. But I'd rather be playing myself."
"So the truth comes out," Henry laughed.
"What do you mean?"
"I knew you weren't happy. I just wanted to see how long it took you to admit it."
"That's not funny. But you know what. I'm never going to get to play professionally. And because of this baby, I'll be playing in a Wednesday night rec league for the rest of my career."
"Really Bubbles. Think about it. If you went pro, you would have to travel all the time. You and Sid? Well, it wouldn't be possible."
"Is it selfish to want a career and love, like Sidney has? All I know is hockey, and I don't think I could function if I didn't play."
"You're not being selfish, you just need to satisfy your passions. That's why you're coaching. You stay in-district and show off your talents from behind the bench. But that's not what you want, right?"
"Right," I nodded.
"Just visit the schools and talk to some counselors. I'm sure they'll be able to help. Oh, and definitely talk to Sid about this. He'll probably be supportive."

After our serious talk, Henry and I started making poutine as the game played on the TV in the living room.
But Henry left around five to go see Vienna before he had work, and once again, I was alone.
As I waited for the poutine to cook, I picked up my phone and looked through my contacts, pressing send when I got to who I wanted to call.
"Hello?" the voice asked, and I smiled.
"Hey Carey, are you busy?"
"No, why?" he asked.
"I'm making poutine and I have no one to talk to," I sighed, turning the stove's flame down to medium.
"You make poutine?!?"
"Well yeah, what French-Canadian doesn't?"
After a few minutes of catching up, Carey asked,
"Where's Sid at?"
"Oh, the Senators are here for a game and SIdney went for moral support.. Not much else he can do I guess."
"Ah, it's on CBC, right? I flipped by it earlier."
"Probably. I'm watching FSN Pittsburgh."So we watched the game together on the phone, while I kept an eye on the food I was cooking.
"Tough loss," Carey said after the Sens won the shootout, making it a 4-3 final.
I let out a groan.
"Sid's not gonna be happy..."
"Good thing you made poutine!" Carey laughed, making me grin.
"Hold on, Sid's on the other line," I said quickly, then answered my other call.
"Hey!"
"Hey Aubs. I don't think we're going out for a victory dinner, if you saw the game."
"I did."
"So do you want me to bring anything over for dinner?"
"No, actually. I'm already making you a special something. So hurry home, okay?"
"For sure," he sounded somewhat excited, for his team just suffering a loss.
He hung up and I switched back to Carey.
"Sorry. He wanted to know if he should bring home dinner, and I told him not to."
We talked as I set the table and finished making everything, including some crepes, which were Sid's favourite part of my French-Canadian meal plan.
"Carey, next time we see each other, I'll have to make you my poutine."
"Uh, definitely! You should just come to college at McGill."
I had told him all about my whole dilemma, and he was supportive of my ideas too.

"Aubrie, I'm home," I heard Sidney, then saw him come into the kitchen.
"Who are you talking to?"
I held my finger to my lips, shushing him.
"Oui, maman. Je t'aime aussi.. Mmhmm, au revoir," I said to Carey into the reciever, who said a quick goodbye, then shut my phone.
"Oh, sorry!" Sid flushed as I approached him, lightly pecking his lips.
"Come see what I made for dinner," I led him to the dining room, where I had everything all dished out.
"Aubs, you didn't have to.. This is delicious," Sidney said, halfway through his plate.
"I know. I wanted to though.. Plus, Henry and I got bored."
"Henry was over?"
"Yeah," I nodded.
"How is he and that new girlfriend of his?"
"He's having a great time with Vienna. I think he wants to move out, but doesn't want to tell me," I muttered, then quickly changed the subject.
"So Nathalie mentioned something about how she wanted to throw me a baby shower.."
"Wait. Henry wants to move out, leaving you with the rent? I can't believe that.. How are you gonna pay it?"
Sidney kept going until I finally stopped him.
"Relax. We haven't talked about it yet. And I don't think he'll just ditch me with the bills and rent all of a sudden. He'd wait until I could fully support myself and pay all the bills. Don't worry, okay? Just sit back and eat your crepes."

4 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Love the story its definately my favorite one. Quick question though, you must watch As the World Turns right? I mean come on its not a coinsidense that she has a best friends named Henry that calls her Bubbles and has a girlfriend named Vienna right?! lol, but thats a good things As the Worlds turns in my soap and I have been watching it since before I can remember (my moms favorite too! lol) So keep up the great work!

Parker said...

Yesss! As The World Turns is my favourite.
I'm so glad someone finally caught my little ode to it!
Henry and Vienna are my favourite on the show.
=]
Seriously, I know how you feel. I've been watching it for forever because of my parents and grandma.

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

As always this chapter was amazing. I love you`re story so much and have for a very long time now. (I was thinking about you yesterday & how we used to talk all the time when we both still posted our stories on quizilla. I miss it =[).

As for the Pens game I`m not sure, but tell my boys I say hi, HAHA!

I can`t wait to see what happens next.

Kimmy said...

I Loved the update!!
I'm always in the mood to read this story.

Post more when you can!!