Monday, December 8, 2008

SKATE YOUR LANE;; SEVENTYTHREE

SEVENTYTHREE;;

After a shootout win against the Thrashers and saying goodbye to Colby at the airport, Sidney and I went to my apartment and he called his parents.
"Hey mum, is dad around? Yeah? No, I don't right now. I just need to tell you both something important."
I watched him carefully from the couch as he paced the living room floor.
"I-uh. I'm gonna play on Tuesday. So if you guys could maybe come out? No.. Ok then, I'll just tell you now. Aubrie and I are having a baby."
I heard a loud "What?!" erupt from the phone.
"She's almost at sixteen weeks.." Sidney answered, shooting me a 'save me please' look.
"Yeah, I know. We know, mum. We're ready for it.. No. Look mum, I have to go. Aubrie wants me to make her something salty.. She's got a craving. Love you, bye."
He quickly hung up, turning his phone off.
"That sounded like it went well," I laughed, and Sidney groaned.
"She's gonna leave me a ton of voicemails and stuff. I can't wait."
I knew sooner or later we were going to have to explain a lot more than what Sidney just did to Trina and Troy Crosby.

In bed that night, Sidney grabbed something off the bathroom counter and sat next to me as I laid down.
"What's that?" I asked as he pulled my shirt up, exposing my round stomach.
"Cocoa butter," Sidney answered simply, opening the jar and spreading some on his hands, then rubbing it on my skin.
"The guys said it's good for you and helps keep stretch marks away."
"This is really sweet of you.. Thanks," I smiled, setting my hands on top of his and helping him.

On Tuesday, Sid went with the Pens to Tampa Bay, and about three hours before their game time, he called me.
"Hey Sid," I smiled as I answered, packing my bag for the Langley boys' trip to the State Championship in Philadelphia.
"Hey Aubs, I was calling to let you know I'm playing tonight."
"I had a feeling you were going to," I nodded, zipping up my duffel bag.
"What was that?"
"I just finished packing for Phillie.."
"Oh yeah, State!" I could hear the smile in his voice.
"Hopefully we'll do well," I said, glancing up at the picture of the team after we won Nationals.
"Your boys will make you proud," Sidney assured me, and I chuckled.
"They really are a lot like my kids, huh? Only.. Their a few years younger than me."
"Yep, and they won't want to let their mum down."
"Thanks, Sid. Hey, I'm gonna watch the game online, so make me proud and please be careful."
"Ok, I promise."
"Good. Love you." appreciate
"Love you too."

That night, all the guys and I gathered around my laptop and watched the Pens win 2-0, with Sidney getting two of the assists.
The next day, we lost our game, and the one after that.
Before game three on Friday, I stood in the dressing room trying to talk some sense into my boys.
"If we lose this game, we can kiss our shot at defending our National title. But I don't care about Nationals. All I care about tonight is this game, right now. If we go out there and put the last two games behind us, we can beat this team. We only have three periods to make our presence felt."
We won that night, Saturday night, and the guys had a shut out Sunday afternoon to win the State title.
Oddly enough, Sid and the Pens won their game against the Capitals today too.
The team and I hung around Phillie celebrating and being tourists for the next few hours, then got back on the bus and returned to Pittsburgh.

As soon as I got home, I headed for the fridge, totally starved, and a note taped to the refrigerator caught my eye.
'Aubrie-
Be ready to go at 10 am sharp. It's baby shopping time.
-Love Sidney.'

I smiled, then did my nightly routine and went to bed.

True to his note, Sidney was here at exactly ten.
We decided to go to a few big stores first, then hit the little things later.
In the car on our way to the first store, I was curious about some things.
"So why are we shopping now? Don't you have practice?"
"No.. I tweaked my ankle, and I'm not gonna risk it getting worse."
"Just as long as you're alright with that."
At the first store, Babyland, I looked around in awe.
"Where do we start?" I gaped, and Sidney pulled a few pieces of paper out of his back pocket.
"The guys and I made a list while we were on the plane this whole road trip."
"Awesome. Those guys are the best.. Not to mention you," I smiled, quickly pecking his lips as we set off into the store.

We spent the whole day going store to store, doing gift registries, picking out things we liked and buying a few items.
"This all seems so... Official," I said as we looked at baby clothes.
"How about this?" Sidney laughed, holing up a little pink bunny outfit like the one I had seen in A Christmas Story.
"Ohmygod, no! Ew, Sid! Our baby will not be dressed like a bunny," I shrieked, making him put it back.
"Come on, it'd be cute!"
"Uh, no. I sure hope this kid gets my sense of style."
"What's that supposed to mean?" Sid laughed, pulling me close to him, "I thought you liked the way I dress!"
"Yeah, cause jeans and Reebok or Pens shirts are a major fashion statement. Now when you're in a suit, I have no complaints," I grinned, wrapping my arms around his waist.
I loved teasing him. Sidney always felt the most comfortable in jeans and teeshirts, and I had no issues with that. It was just fun to get a reaction out of him.
"I'm sorry to cut in, but do you two need help finding anything?"
An older woman smiled brightly at us, and Sidney nodded.
"We need a lot of help," I added with a laugh.
"Is this your first pregnancy?" the woman asked, and we nodded.
This woman, Harriet, helped us sign up for the gift registry and find things for the baby that Sidney didn't have on his list.
She told us about where to go to get certain things, and she even gave us her card so we could call if we had questions.

In the car on the way to my apartment, my phone rang and I quickly answered.
"Hello?" I asked.
"Hey, how's it going?" Carey's voice answered.
"Euhh. Bien, mais je n'ai pas les temps. Telephonez-moi demain," I said quickly, in an annoyed tone.
"Uh.. Ok? Later."
I hung up, smiling over at Sidney.
"Who was that?"
"No one important," I told him, trying to drop it.
"You sounded kinda agitated.. Even in that sexy French you speak."
"What are you trying to say, Sidney?" I asked, a sly smile on my face.
"I'm just going to throw this out there.. You're turning me on."
"Oh, I am, huh? In all my fat, pregnant glory?"
"For sure. You're gorgeous, and I want you now," he looked over, shooting me a heated glance.
"How far are we from the apartment?"
Sidney pulled in and parked the Range Rover.
"We're here," he smirked, jumping out and dragging me upstairs and to my room.
"Hey Henry... Good to see you.. Mind going out for a few hours?" I asked politely.
"Henry. Out, now," Sidney shot, and Henry quickly vacated the premises.

5 comments:

gilld22 said...

That was really cute.

mare said...

haha, that ending was awesome.
happy be-lated birthday.

Lauren said...

I can totally picture a bunch of men sitting around talking about things a baby would need - so cute!

Molly said...

oh, sid's gonna be such a good dad!
"henry. out, now." haha cant wait for the next chapter =]

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

Oh Parker, I love you and your story.

So I definitely remember the Tampa game well, and the game against the Caps.

As Lauren said I can so picture the guys sitting on the plane thinking of things that baby would need.

I love that Sidney is so sweet to her and always has been.

And the end was rather entertaining too, I can definitely see Sid saying that.

Can`t wait for more.