Thursday, February 26, 2009

SKATE YOUR LANE;; SEVENTYSEVEN

SEVENTYSEVEN;;

I went to Mellon to pick Sidney up from a pre-playoffs practice, but he wasn't ready when I walked into the dressing room.
"Hey Aubrie," Pascal Dupuis greeted along with the other guys that were still there.
"Hi," I smiled, then waved to my brother.
"Sid, could you be any slower? We kinda have to be somewhere soon," I told him anxiously. We had a lamaze class in an hour, and I didn't want to be late.
"Fleur, your phone's ringing," Brooks told me, and I quickly grabbed it, not used to it being on ring.
"I have to take this," I said swiftly, "Hello?"
Carey greeted me with a hey.
"I'll be in the hall, okay Sid?"
He nodded, and I ruffled his hair affectionately before wandering out into the hallway.

"What's up, Care?" I asked, pacing up and down the long hall.
'Not much, just nervous for this series against the Bruins," he told me with a sigh.
"Oh, you'll do just fine!" I reassured him, smiling into the receiver.
"Hopefully. I'm excited though.."
"That's good. Just keep focused and things will happen," I advised.
"Yeah, yeah. What are you up to?"
"I'm just at Mellon to get Sid from practice. We have a birthing class to go to.." I couldn't help but cringe at the thought of actually doing it.
"Seriously? I can't imagine him doing that.."
"Carey," I tried to sound stern, "Don't. I know you guys don't get along."
"I know, sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. I was just kidding."
"Alright," I nodded, then heard my brother's voice.
"Brie, what are you doing out here?" Marc-Andre asked, and I stopped in my tracks.
"Talking on the phone," I replied casually.
"To?" he asked, eying me suspiciously.
"Someone about Nationals," I lied, and Marc could tell.
"Give me your phone," he ordered, and I laughed.
"Hey, my brother wants to talk to you.." I told Carey.
"Wait, what?" he asked as I handed my phone over.

"Hello? Oh, hey Pricey! Yeah, you're helping her with Nationals? That's awesome.. Cool. I'll give Brie back her phone. Bye!"
He handed me my cell, a grin on his face.
"You could've just told me it was Price. We're buds!" Marc chuckled, and I felt totally relieved.
"Carey? Yeah. It's me. Marc was glad to hear from you.."
I turned my attention back to my brother.
"See you later?" He nodded, leaving for his car.
Then Sid and Hal Gill walked out, and I grinned.
"Hey, I gotta go to my thing.. I'll talk to you later." This was too much of a close call as it was. I was not about to have Sidney talk to Carey too...
Carey told me goodbye, and I took Sidney's hand as we walked out to the Range Rover.

After a rather interesting lamaze class, Sidney and I went to the Lemieux's house to hang out and have dinner, since Trina and Troy were still occupying the condo.
"Are you sure you're not going to punk out during labour? I don't want the doctor to have to worry about you too.." I laughed as we played Uno with Austin and Lauren.
"I think I'll be ok," he smiled, laying down a card.
"Hey, Aubrie. Are you excited for the party tomorrow?" Austin asked, and Lauren smacked him.
"Shut up, Austin!" she hissed, and I watched them curiously.
"What party?" I asked, and Austin shook his head.
"Nothing.."
Sid and I stayed the night at the Lemieux house, and I was still wondering about this whole party thing.

"Sidney what was Austin talking about when he asked me if I was excited for a party?" I asked the next morning as we got dressed for the day.
"I have no idea," he shrugged, glancing at the clock next to his bed.
"Let's go see if we missed breakfast," he told me, grabbing his practice bag and my hand, pulling me out to the main family room of the house.

"Surprise!" I heard, then saw Nathalie, Abby Malone, Vero, and nearly every player's wife or girlfriend.
The entire room was decorated in a pink and blue theme, food was set out, and gifts lined the table in the dining room.
"Nathalie! You threw me a shower?" I asked, extremely excited.
She had mentioned wanting to have it in mid-April with my mum. But I guess she couldn't wait.
"Bye Aubs, have fun," Sidney kissed my cheek then left for practice, leaving me with these women I somewhat knew.
"Of course we did! It's a pretty big thing when one of the girls has a baby, and you're no exception," Nathalie told me, "So let's get this party started!"

Over the next few hours, these women were painfully kind to me. Very few of them had ever made the effort to even speak to me, so I was shocked that they acted as if we were all best friends.
"Brie, it's gifts and gossip time!" Marc-Andre's long time girlfriend, Vero, told me as she sat me in a chair next to the others that were set up in a circle.
I opened up clothes, baby toys, bottles, and basically everything else these ladies could think of to get me. I even got some post-baby 'sexy lingerie' for Sidney and myself.
Nathalie handed me her gift; a huge, gorgeous black leather Kate Spade baby bag with a Pens baby blanket, a few toys, and a set of jammies as well as a black and gold knit touk inside.
"Thank you all so much.." I told everyone, not knowing what else to really say, "I really hope I don't mess this up!"
"Oh Brie. You'll be fine! All Sidney talks about is how good you are with kids," Jordan's girlfriend, Caroline, smiled, making me turn pink.
"Sid's good with his sister, so I have a feeling he's going to be a good dad," I added, "So he won't be totally clueless, which is great."
"I wouldn't be surprised if he's a natural. He is at everything else," Vero said, and I couldn't help but feel like she was being way too fake and overbearing.

Everyone left when Sid got back around five. They didn't want a guy to ruin the party, so they decided it was over.
"Hey, how was the shower?" he asked, setting his stuff down in his room.
"It was really, really awkward," I told him honestly, "But fun none the less. It was sweet of Nathalie to put everything together."
"Well, she really likes you, Aubs. Oh, and I saw all of those presents out there. This kid is gonna be so spoiled."
"But not too spoiled, right? Just because we can, it doesn't mean we should."
"Whatever you say," he laughed, giving me a kiss before leading me down to the basement to play table hockey.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

Finally a new chapter to this great story! Don't ever make us wait that long lol!

I can't wait until the baby is born and how they adapt to being parents.

Parker said...

Haha, I'm sorry it took so long!
I got side tracked by this dilemma I had about what should happen in the somewhat near future of this story..
But I figured it out, and I can't stop writing it.

The hard part is writing up to it though.. =/

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

Parker! As always, I loved the chapter. I was so excited when I saw the it this morning, but didn't have enough time to read before school. I can't help but wonder if Sid is ever going to find out about Carey, and if and when he does what he'll say.

The shower was really sweet, it sucks that it was really awkward for her though.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Molly said...

yay an update!
i want this baby to come, and see how awesome sid as at being a daddy! =)

isuckatlifen said...

ok so i just found this story and caught up to it in 2 days. i couldnt stop reading it! it is really really good! I cant wait for an update!