Sunday, February 1, 2009

SKATE YOUR LANE;; SEVENTYSIX

SEVENTYSIX;;

I grabbed my phone, dialing Sidney's number and quickly pressed send.
"Hello?" his voice rang out into the receiver, and I sighed in relief.
"Hey are you done with practice?" I asked, pulling off my sweatpants and finding a pair of jeans to tug on.
"Yeah, we just finished?"
"Good. Not to freak you out or anything, but your parents are in the living room and they don't seem too happy to see me."
"Oh, woah. I'm dressing out and stuff right now. Can you handle them for like, forty-five minutes?"
"Seriously? They're going to kill me.."
"Ok twenty minutes. I can be there in twenty."
"Fine. I'll just try not to die till you get here."
"That would be good, for sure. I'll see you soon."
"Kay, but if I don't make it, I love you!"
"Love you too," he laughed, "Bye."

I hung up and quickly fixed my hair so it was down and not so messy before walking into the living room where Trina and Troy sat at the kitchen table.
"Sidney said he can be here in twenty minutes.. So I don't really know what to do until then," I told them in a timid tone, rubbing my arm anxiously.
"Oh! Did you leave your luggage in your rental car? I- we can go get it?"
"I'll go get it," Troy said firmly, getting up from the table.
"I can help if you want," I offered, and he sent me a strange look.
"It's alright, Aubrie. I will go with him. You stay here," Trina told me in her stern, motherly voice.
They left the condo to go down stairs, and I sat at the table, holding my head in my hands.
'This is going to be a nightmare,' I thought to myself, trying not to think about what to say when Sidney's parents came back through that door.
After what seemed like forever, a knock hit the door and it opened as soon as I got up. I smiled and let out a slight sigh when I saw Sidney, then his parents right behind him.
Sid and Troy put everything in our room, then we all conviened in the kitchen.
Sidney and I sat across from Trina and Troy, and an awkward silence fell over everyone.

"So.." I muttered, not sure how to break the ice.
"Well, apparently we're going to be grandparents," Trina started in a light, sarcastic tone.
"Yeah, I guess so," I fired back in the same voice.
"You know this is just a big mistake, right?" Troy asked me, making sure to keep eye contact, and Sidney just stared at him, shocked.
"I'm sorry if I don't feel that way, sir," I told him.
"What do you think about this, Sidney?" his father asked.
"I couldn't be more excited, honestly. It's a big responsibility, for sure, but what in my or Aubrie's life hasn't been?" he answered, making sure his parents knew he was being serious.
"Sidney, we don't think you understand," Trina began.
"The only thing I don't understand is why you're being hypocrites. You two were in the exact same situation with me," Sidney cut off his mother, which surprised me.
"We just don't want you making the same mistakes we did.. You have a lot more to lose," Troy told his son, not even looking at me.
"It's not a mistake in our eyes.. And yeah, we know it's a lot to handle, but we have so much more to gain than to lose."

"I feel like we're trying to get you to buy us a car or something," I suddenly blurted, "This is a new life, not some inanimate object. All I want to do is get along and try to coexist. I understand that you're not thrilled.. But I'm sorry, we're having a baby."
After I finished, I let out the deep breath I had been holding in, feeling somewhat better.
"You have a point," Trina nodded, catching me off guard.
"Really?" I asked, now totally confused by this woman's actions.
"Yeah," she nodded, "You two have obviously made up your minds. It's not like we're going to be able to change them."
"Trina, I think we need to speak in private," Troy said sharply, and Sidney immediately got up.
"Come on, Aubs. Let's go in the other room.."
I got up and followed him to our bedroom, closing the door behind us.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I asked, sitting down at the foot of the bed.
"My dad's gonna tell my mum she's crazy. There might be some yelling, depending on whether or not they're willing to do it with you here," he shrugged, sitting next to me.
"I don't want them to fight," I said quietly.
"They'll do it if it will help them come to a decision."
"Maybe we should take them to lunch.. To make peace," I suggested.
Sidney went to answer, but I let out a soft laugh.
"Sorry," I flushed, "I'm not totally used to the baby moving and stuff.."
That bright, excited gleam appeared in Sidney's sweet hazel eyes like it had since he first felt it move.
Sidney quickly set his hands on me, a grin hitting his lips as he let out a chuckle.
We sat there and spoke to the baby; the doctor had said it was good for development.. So Sid had been talking hockey non-stop to it.

A while later, the door opened and Trina and her husband peeked in.
Sid and I looked up, like two kids caught doing something they weren't supposed to.
"Uh.. Hi mum.. Dad," Sidney said in an awkward tone, pulling his hands away and running one of them through his dark hair.
"We were just going to ask if we could take you tw--three out to lunch," Trina said with a seemingly forced smile.
I glanced at Sidney, who was staring at his parents in disbelief.
"That sounds great," I finally answered, nudging Sid gently.
"Yeah. Let me change real fast then we can go," Sidney agreed, and his parents let us be.
"What just happened?" I asked as I pulled out a cute, maternity-friendly dress, watching Sidney tug his shirt over his head.
"I'm not too sure.. We'll find out soon though."

The four of us arrived at a small restaurant for lunch and were seated immediately.
"So, Troy and I had a talk.. And even though we don't agree with your choices... You two are old enough to make your own decisions and deal with the consequences, whether they're good or bad," Trina told us, and I was pretty put off by this, but I bit my tongue and tried to get through lunch without causing a scene.
That night Sidney and I were at Henry and Vienna's, and I wasn't about to forget the day's events.
"Who does your mother think she is.. Acting all high and mighty?" I asked, sitting in my old bed, completely flustered.
"She's just being my mum. But whatever, don't listen to her. Just go to sleep," Sidney silenced me with a kiss and shut out the lights.

11 comments:

Lauren said...

Sidney must've driven like 100 miles an hour to get home so fast lol! I hope Troy and Trina start to accept the idea of the baby soon...


more soon, please!!!

haley_says_gawr said...

that was deffinitly worth the wait.
:D
i cant wait for the baby to be born.
and sidney's so adorbale with it all.
cant wait for another update.

and yay for pittsburgh winning the super bowl!!

Kimmy said...

I hope that Troy and Trina can accept that their son is having child.
Glad you updated!

More Soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww...I was hoping she'd let them feel the baby moving. I'm sure that would have won them over 100%!
Great update--more soon? please!

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

So I definitely thought I commented on this the other day, but obviously I didn't. Such a great chapter, as always. I completely agree with everyone. Can`t wait to see what happens next

Anonymous said...

By the time the baby's born they'll be over it :)

UPDATE!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it Parker! I think you write very well! Keep up the good work! I'm hooked! lol :)

Anonymous said...

im probably late but i think 4 a boy the name should be ryder sry cnt decide on the girl name. luv ur story!

Anonymous said...

I hope we get an update soon! =)

kaity said...

PLEASE keep them coming they are to good for you to update only once a month!!!!

the rev♥ said...

I've been writing so much it's not even funny..
But I've been writing stuff for after 77, and not actually the next part..
So once I get that one finished, it's going to get better.

It's like, once I get this idea in my head, I have to run with it.
I can't focus on something until I get what's on my mind out.

I think it's almost gone, so I'm going to finish 77 tonight and put it up soon.