Monday, April 6, 2009

SKATE YOUR LANE;; EIGHTYONE

EIGHTYONE;;

[AUBRIE'S POV]
I spent the summer in Sorel working as a hostess and answering phones or keeping books at my parent's restaurant. Sure, I still stayed with my mum and dad, but I couldn't live with them forever. Marc-Andre came home for about two weeks at the end of July, and I had totally forgiven him for spilling to Sidney. He didn't deserve to be ignored and despised by his sister after such a heartbreaking loss.
My brother and I had a good time while he was home, and when he left, I went back to being lonely like I had been before he came. I missed being around people my age.. I didn't have that here in Sorel.
Marc had tried to get me to come to Halifax with him for Sidney's birthday, but I definitely declined that invitation. I didn't think Sid would have liked me crashing his twenty-first birthday extravaganza.

Two weeks before I was due, mum and I were spending a few days in Montreal to pick up some last minute things.
We were out to dinner and Mum was blabbing on about something, trying to take my thoughts off of the fact that it was Sidney's big day. Of course it had been on my mind all day, but I didn't do anything about it.. There was nothing I could do that wouldn't make me feel more awkward than I already did.
I knew Marc-Andre was at the party, but I had no idea what they were doing, and I kind of wanted to know.
"Je vais aller au toilette," I told my mother while she paid the check, getting up and heading to the restroom.
As I washed my hands, I felt something strangely wet trickle down my legs in my summer dress and I knew something was wrong.
My heart began to race, not knowing what to do so I quickly cleaned up and hurried out to my mum, trying to breath.
"Mum.. I think it's time.."
She stared at me blankly, then her eyes widened.
"Vas-y!" she demanded, grabbing our bags and rushing me out to her car.
As soon as we got to the nearest hospital, I began to feel an immense, ridiculous pain and I groaned.
"You need to call Marc-Andre, okay?"
"D'accord," she nodded, pulling up to the emergency room.

[MARC-ANDRE'S POV]
Sid's party was beginning to wind down; we were all inside and off the dock, playing Xbox and drinking when my phone rang.
"Hello?" I asked, getting up so I wouldn't annoy the guys as the played.
My mum's frantic voice filled my ear and I was caught totally off guard.
"Your sister's water broke and she's going into labour."
"What? No.."
"Yes, Marc-Andre," she told me, "We're at Montreal General.."
"I can be on the next flight there."
"Good, please hurry."
I hung up and walked over to where Sid was standing in the kitchen.
"Hey, I've got to go," I told my friend when he saw me putting on my shoes.
"Why? I can't beat these guys without my partner!" Sid laughed, taking a swing from his half-empty bottle of beer.
"I.. Vero needs me to come home. I'm gonna catch the next plane to Montreal."
Sidney watched me carefully, scratching his head.
"You're lying!" He blurted, "If you think my party is lame, you can just tell me."
"Ok, look. It was my mother. She said it's an emergency and I need to come home," I only somewhat lied.
"I understand.. I hope everything is alright, and thanks for coming."I took the next flight to Montreal and caught a taxi to the hospital, arriving around four am to find my sister in the process of giving birth, which totally freaked me out.
The nurse brought me in and I let Aubrie hold squeeze the hell out of my hand until I saw the doctor had a baby in his arms and a shrill cry hit the air.
"Woah," I gaped, feeling sick to my stomach. I had never in my life seen anything as disgusting as what I just witnessed. There were no words to describe how utterly grossed out I was. I had to remember to tell Vero we're never ever having kids. Ever.
"What?" Aubrie asked, glancing up at me, then to her new baby.
"It's a boy," I mused, "All of us were sure it was a girl.. Even Sid."
My little sister let out a soft laugh, then watched as the nurses left with her baby, a concerned look all over her face.
"Relax, Aubrie. We're taking him to run the standard tests as well as a few extra seeing as he's a couple of weeks early," the remaining nurse told her then left, leaving the two of us alone.
"Did you see him?" she asked and I nodded, wiping her hair out of her eyes and noticing how despite her obvious exhaustion, she was glowing with excitement.
"Have you picked out a name?" I asked her, extremely curious. I had heard a bunch of ideas from Sidney a long time ago, but they had never officially decided. Aubrie had never even said anything about it, and I was dying to know.
"Yep, but I'm not spilling till I sign the paperwork," she yawned, trying to get comfortable.
"I'm gonna go get a drink. Want something?" I asked, edging toward the door.
"Don't even think about it," she snapped quickly.
"What?" I shot back, playing the tired, dumb brother.
"Don't you dare go out into the hall and call Sidney, because I know that's exactly what you're going to do."
I tried to hide my guilty look, knowing she had caught me.

"He deserves to know his kid is in the world now," I told her, but she shook her head. This was going to be a never ending battle, I could just tell.
"He doesn't deserve anything. Not when he left me alone and pregnant."
"Are you even going to put his name on the birth certificate?" There was no doubt in my mind that Sid needed to know. If he hadn't of been buzzed when I told him I had to leave, he would have figured out the real reason I had to leave.
"Well, yeah. There's no point in denying that he's a dad.. He'll just have to sign the papers at a later date I guess.."
"Why don't you just call, or have me call and let him know?"
"Because, Marc-Andre. You know as well as I do that as soon as he finds out, he'll be out here on the next possible flight and demand access to my baby. I don't want to have to fight with Sidney or even talk to him until I've sorted everything out."
"Whatever, Aubrie. It's not just your life you have to worry about anymore. You have that little boy to look after. Just hink about how happy you and Sidney could be with your baby, together." I tried to get her to see my point, and I knew she was breaking.
"I wish it worked like that.. But everyone makes mistakes and there are some that just can't be fixed," she sighed.
"How do you know you can't fix this?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest as a nurse rolled in a cart with Aubrie's baby nestled inside of several blankets, our mother following closely behind.
"Miss Fleury, your boy is doing just fine. He was just excited and came early. But at six pounds, eight ounces, he's healthy as can be," the woman smiled cheerfully.
I watched this lady gently set the sleeping baby in my sister's arms, a smile sneaking onto my face despite the conversation we just had. I was officially an uncle. Holy crap.

12 comments:

gilld22 said...

I am excited to hear what you decide to call him and how you plan on telling Sid, please try to update soon!

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

Aww Parker. You and Lauren seem to have a way of bringing tears to my eyes. This was an amaziing chapter! I really hope that somehow Marc-Andre can convince Aubrie to see Sid and that everything can be worked out, they need to be together.

I also can't to see what the baby's name is. And I love the bit of humor "I had to remember to tell Vero we're never ever having kids. Ever."

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Anonymous said...

I love it as usual! But it's making me so sad that they still aren't together!

Ashley said...

love it.
aubrie is so bad ass i love her.
update soon!
-ashley

Molly said...

omgosshhh.
call sid!! i want. no. NEED them to get back together!

haley_says_gawr said...

ooh common! she has to tell sidney!
its bad enough he wasnt there with her.
its gonana break his heart.
and that'll break minee!
but it was a great chapter. (:
marc-andre cracks me up. xD
there needs to be happiness in this story again!

carrie. said...

Oh my gosh. I can't believe Sidney wasn't there for it. Honestly, you have me in tears. And that's pretty good considering I hardly ever tear up over stories or songs.

I really love that Marc-Andre is trying so hard to convince her to talk to Sid. The voice of reason, lol. Go Marc! Haha. :D

I still can't believe that the whole fight was over Aubrie talking to Carey. It's amazing what stupid things people can fight over sometimes.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else. Sid and Aubrie need to make up. Like Marc said, they have more than themselves to care about now. And I'm with Haley, it'll break my heart too, lol.

Great chapter. Hope you can update soon! :)

Lauren said...

This was adorable! As weird as this may sound, I feel like I've been waiting on this baby to hurry up and get here forever!

And I can totally picture the look of horror on Marc's face lol!

Aeryn said...

I was really surprised that Sid wasn't there. I hope she lets him back into her life, for the baby's sake.

And I agree with everyone else, I can't wait to see what the baby's name is. With the risk of sounding redundant, I loved Marc in this chapter. What a great big brother.

Can't wait to see what happens next. I've heard babies bring people together ;)

Heather said...

Excellent as usual Parker.

I loved seeing the birth through Marc-Andre's eyes. Nice twist.

I agree with everyone else though, we need to see Aubrie and Sid back together.

Roxy said...

Hahaha,

I love M-A.

I'm officially an uncle. Holy Crap.

I love how he can be so light about things in tense situations like that.

Update soon (:

Roxy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.