Monday, June 22, 2009

SKATE YOUR LANE;; EIGHTYEIGHT

EIGHTYEIGHT;;

[SIDNEY'S POV]
"Sid, you don't really want to get married. You're just going to the extreme so I'll stay," she told me, and I knew she was right but that didn't mean I had to admit it.
"Come on, Aubrie. You knew this was coming sometime," I tried. I wasn't lying; I did eventually want to get married.
"No, I didn't! We're not even dating, how could I have seen this last ditch effort?"
I watched her shift uncomfortably, her green eyes scanning her surroundings.
"Just.. Stay a bit longer so we can figure everything out."
"Sidney Patrick Crosby," she mumbled my last name, trying not to attract attention, "If you wanted to 'figure things out' you shouldn't have waited until the last minute."
I noticed her accent forcing her to slur her words like Marc-Andre's usually did. She held onto Oliver, who was watching everything around him.
"Goodbye, Sidney," Aubrie said softly, but I couldn't just let her go like this.
"Wait, one more thing," I stopped her, moving in and kissing her with everything I had. Aubrie bean to kiss me back, and with Oliver in between us, I felt like everything was going great.. But then she pulled away.
"We're going to miss our flight," she muttered, taking a step back.
"Miss it," I suggested.
"I can't, I'm sorry."
With that said, Aubrie sent me a weak smile and walked off toward security. I stood there helplessly, unable to move or even breathe as the girl I was so ridiculously in love with left the country with our son.


"Dude, I'm sorry. I tried my best too," Marc said as we sat on the plane to Toronto on Valentine's Day.
"It's not your fault. I should have just gone for it before she left like she said. Then to make it worse, I went and confronted my dad about how he treated Aubrie."

"Hey Dad," I said as I walked into the condo a while after the whole ordeal at the airport.
"You're over early today," my father noticed; it was 8:45.
"Sorry. It's been a rough morning."
"How come?" he asked as I sat at the kitchen table.
"I went to the airport to try and get Aubrie to stay here with Oliver.. But it didn't exactly go how I planned."
"I don't know why you're still stuck on her. There are so many other girls out in the world."
"I wanted to talk to you about that, too. Why were you so rude to Aubrie at the game last week? Oliver is your grandson and he's her son. You have no right acting like you did and saying that stuff." I normally don't call my dad out, but this was really bothering me.
"I will act however I want and say what I need to. I feel like she's using you and I'm not afraid to say it!"
'Then why is she on her way back to her hometown right now?"
"Women work in mysterious ways, Sidney. You need to forget about this girl and focus on your career."
"I can't believe you're telling me to abandon my child," I said as I got up. Usually my dad gave good advice, but this time he was wrong, "I'll see you later."


"I still can't believe what he said about my siser," Marc-Andre shook his head.
"Yeah. Plus I'm pretty sure I caught whatever Aubs had and I've got the flu. I feel miserable," I groaned.
After losing 2-6 in Toronto we went to New York to play the Islanders. Wheile we were there, things changed drastically for the team. Coach Therrien had ben fired, but we kind of saw it coming. When things head south with a team, people usually blame the coach. Dan Bylsma had been put in charge, and he gave us hope for the rest of the season. We lost in New York in a shootout, then went home to play the Habs on Thursday.

A few hours before the game, Flower told me to go out into the hall of the dressing room for a surprise. I did what he said; it was better than sitting around and missing Oliver and Aubrie.
"Oh- hey," I nodded upon seeing Carey Price, a slight feeling of dislike, maybe even hatred washing over me.
"I just thought I'd let you know that Fleury called me after he dropped his sister off at the airport, so I picked her up in Montreal. She told me all about what happened and I told her that she was an idiot. I can see where your desperation came from. I would have done the same thing," Carey told me and I nodded, smiling slightly.
"It's a two hour drive to Sorel, so I hope I got through to Aubrie. No one should go through life not knowing their own kid," he said and I felt like I had totally misjudged Carey.
"Thanks man, I really appreciate you doing that."
"Hey, Oliver's a cute kid. He deserves to have you around. I gotta get back, but I hope everything works out. Let me know, ok?"
"Will do," I nodded, shaking his hand and heading back to my stall.

After coming back from a road trip, Mario called me into his office at the house, and it felt like I was going to see the principal for getting into trouble.
"Hey Sid, have a seat," Mario nodded to a chair before his desk, so I sat.
"Look, I know you're having a rough time with not being close to Oliver and Brie, but you can't let it effect your game."
"If anything, I've been trying to play harder to take my mind off of it," I defended.
"I'm just saying not to let it effect you negatively. You only got to spend what, a week and a half, with Oliver?"
"Yeah, and it wasn't enough. I want to be tehre for his first words and steps. I want to teach him to skate and play hockey and ride a bike and fish. Every time I saw him last week, that's all I thought of. Now all I think about is how I won't be there to do it," I sighed, feeling way too melodramatic.
"Ok, Sid. You go and have lunch. I'm going to see if I can get some work done."
"Alright. Thanks for listening, Mario," I smiled as I walked out the door.
Immediately after closing it, I heard him dialing a phone.
"Hello, Mrs. Fleury. C'est Mario Lemieux.. Oh, no! Marc isn't the one I'm calling about. It's your daughter."
I stood still, trying to listen carefully.
"I seriously think Brie is making a mistake by staying in Sorel.. Really?" he asked, his interest peaked, "Well, if you need me to make any arrangements, by all means let me know. Mmhmm. Merci beaucoup! Au revoir." I heard his phone being put down and I hurried off to the kitchen before I got caught. Something is going on, I just have to figure out what.

A few days later the team and I went on a five game road trip to Chicago, Dallas, Florida and Washington Dc. I didn't find out what Mario knew about, and it was only making me feel even more depressed. The only place I actually cared to be was on the ice and it was helping. We won every game on our road trip, which was awesome. We played a game at home then went to Columbus for a game, coming back on Thursday night.
On Friday, March 13th, Mario called me while he was out and about.
"Hello? I asked; I had just gotten out of fthe shower when he called.
"Hey Sid, do you think you could meet me somewhere?"
"Um, sure. When and where?"
Mario gave me the address and told me to be there in half an hour. I got dressed and google mapped directions., then drove to the place, only getting lost twice.
I ended up in some little residential area outside of the city outside of a house with a for rent sign outside. I parked out front and walked up, noticing Mario's car in the driveway.
I rang the doorbell and Mario opened the door, greeting me enthusiastically.
"Come on in," he told me and I walked in, confused.
"Mario, what's going on? Who's house is this?"
"It's not anyone's house yet, but it might be her's," he said as we walked into the living room.
A grin spread over my face as soon as I saw Aubrie sitting on the floor playing with Oliver. She stood up and I pulled her into a huge hug.
"What are you doing here?" I asked, sitting down on the carpet.
"Well, I've been working nonstop ever since I first went back to Sorel when I was still pregnant, and I decided that maybe I should rent a house and get out here," Aubrie explained, making my smile widen.
"Mario said he'd help me find a place since I turned down his offer to stay with him, and now we're here. What do you think?" she asked me.
"Yeah.. I can't believe you're here to stay. Wait, you are, right?" I asked in return, wanting to make sure.
"Definitely," she nodded, making me feel the best I had felt in a month.

7 comments:

haley_says_gawr said...

oh god, she's so hard headed.
carey steeped up big time though!
i'm soo happy she's staying!
now, it's time to fix her and sidney!

anovak017 said...

hahaha the best part about this post, for me, was the fact that i was at that habs game for my birthday and then i went to the columbus game before finals.
great update. can't wait to read more!

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

What an intense chapter. Disco Dan, the road trip.
Poor Sidney, he was so devastated.
But Mario and Carey stepped up and made it all better.
I'm so glad that she's there, it's time for things to go right between the two of them.

carrie. said...

Aww, I think I'm going to cry, lol. Thank God for Mario and Carey. They're seriously amazing. Hopefully Sid and Aubrie can start putting the pieces back together.

Amazing chapter! Can't wait for more. :)

Molly said...

WOO she's staying!
i'm soooo happyyyyyy!!
now, sid just needs to move in there with her!

87 ♥ said...

love it!
update again soon :)

Heather said...

YAY!!! I even loved Carey in this one ! ;p

Great job Parker. As usual.