Sunday, November 22, 2009

SKATE YOUR LANE;; NINETYEIGHT

NINETYEIGHT;;

I felt everyone's eyes on me as I tried to speak, then I cleared my throat.
"Yes, of course!" I finally smiled, leaning over the Cup and giving him a kiss.
I could see the cameras flashing out of the corner of my eye as Sidney slipped the ring onto my finger, and nothing but this moment mattered.

The rest of the night whirled by, as if it was some sort of crazy dream.
My mother had taken Oliver so I could be free to celebrate in the dressing room, sipping champagne and watching Sid chug from the Cup, as well as Disco Dan and all the guys.
The night was filled with congratulations, for both winning the Cup and our engagement, and I still couldn't get it through my head that either had happened.

Upon our arrival back to Pittsburgh, the guys told Sid to take the cup, so we loaded it into the Range Rover and drove home.
I carried a sleeping Oliver in while Sidney took care of Lord Stanley, and we both walked upstairs.
After putting Ollie to bed, I went into our room to see it standing at the foot of the bed, with Sidney just staring at it.
"You seriously earned that this season," I smiled, sitting on the ground and inspecting all of the familiar names of both the past and present.
"It wasn't that long ago that you told me I'd have it when we were at the Hockey Hall of Fame," Sidney muttered, "I never thought it would be so soon.."
"Be proud that you did, 'youngest captain ever',' I laughed, quoting the commissioner.
"Oh trust me, I am," he nodded.
"So am I gonna have to sleep on the couch or something? I have a feeling you don't want that out of your sight," I said as I ran a finger over Bobby Orr's name, feeling chills rush through me.
"I don't want to put you out.."
"No, I'm totally fine with the Stanley Cup stealing my spot tonight. You just have to make it up to me later," I winked.
"Man.. If the Cup could talk," Sidney laughed, shaking his head.
"It would need a lot of therapy," I finished, "It's probably seen some messed up stuff.. Which will not be including us."
I changed into my pajamas, kissed Sid goodnight then headed to bed in the guest room.

Marc-Andre and my parents came over bright and early, before Sidney or Oliver were even up.
"So, where did you sleep last night, ah?" Marc asked, following me upstairs.
"Not in my bed, that's for sure," I laughed quietly, pushing the bedroom door open so he could see Sid laying beside the Cup.
Marc pulled out his phone, snapping a picture, trying to hold in a laugh the whole time.
"Shut up, Marc!" I shushed him, heading to Oliver's room.
"Oh, good morning, little guy!" I greeted, noticing that he was awake.
Marc-Andre swooped in and picked Oliver up before I could.
"He's mine now!" my brother laughed maniacally, tickling Oliver.
"Go ahead, you see what it's like! I doubt you'll be able to make it a day."
"We'll just see about that!"
"Maybe you could watch him for a weekend during the summer," I suggested.
"That'd be cool," he nodded, "Oh, and we better get Sid up. The Keepers are coming soon to take the Cup. Mario's throwing a huge party at his house tonight!"
"Okay, well. You wanna take Ollie downstairs and get him fed?"
I watched my brother grin.
"Definitely!" he said in his always enthusiastic accent, quickly disappearing as I wandered to my room.

"Siddo, it's time to wake up," I said, pushing his shoulder gently, nudging him awake.
"No! I had the best dream ever.. We won the Cup and I asked you to marry me," he muttered sleepily.
"That wasn't a dream," I said and his eyes shot open.
First he glanced at me, then to the Cup, which was resting peacefully at his side.
"Is this one of those weird dreams within a dream?" he asked, still not believing it.
"It's reality. Get dressed and bring Stanley downstairs with you. Mes parents et Marc-Andre etes ici.. They're in the kitchen. The Cup Keepers are coming by soon to retrieve their friend," I told him before going down to the kitchen.

My family left later that afternoon, then Sid and I began getting ready for Mario's party.
Oliver was down for a nap so he wouldn't be fussy.
"Would you please wear this?" Sidney asked, holding up one of my two piece swimsuits.
"No!" I laughed, "I don't plan on swimming."
"Who cares? I'll throw you in if you don't war this."
"Fine. Toss it here," I gave in.
I got into the bathing suit, wearing some jean shorts and a racerback tank top over it; even if I was a mom, I could still dress my age.
Upon exiting the bathroom, I felt Sidney's gaze on me as I slipped on my sandals.
"What?" I asked finally, setting my hands on my hips in annoyance.
Sid, who was in swim trunks and a polo, shot me a look that said it all.
"Nothing! Can't I look at my fiancee?," he stressed, smiling the whole time.
"Not the way you are right now or else we won't get to the party. I'm gonna go wake Ollie up."
When I got to Oliver's room, I noticed that he was oddly warm.
"Hey Sid, come here," I called, picking my boy up and feeling his forehead again.
"What's up?"
"I think he has a fever?" I said, unsure, "Will you call my mom?"
My mother said that it was probably from teething, and that he was in no condition to go out.
She and my father decided to come over so we could still go to the party, and I was extremely grateful.

"You know what? This is the first time we've really gone anywhere without Oliver in a long time," I mused as we walked up to the Lemieux's front door.
"I know! It's so weird," Sidney laughed.

[SIDNEY'S POV]
A few of the guys and I stood close to the Cup and drank some beers, watching th rest of the party.
"So dude, I know you thought she'd say no," TK told me with a laugh.
They had been giving me a hard time about it.
"Shut up!" I said, trying to laugh it off. I hated that people knew about my doubts and fears.
As we talked, I scanned the party; the pool was filled with kids and their dads, which made me think of Oliver.
My attention turned to Aubrie, who was talking animatedly with Tanger.
The sun started to set, and I noticed Aubrie making her way over to me.
"Hey stranger," she smiled, hanging her sunglasses from the neckline of her shirt.
"Long time no see!" I winked back, earning a thumbs-up from Max, who stood a few feet behind Aubrie.

When we all sat down for dinner in the huge backyard, I could tell Aubrie was getting antsy.
"What's up?" I asked; she had been checking her phone nonstop.
"I'm waiting for my mom to text me back with a report on Ollie."
"She will. Just put your phone away and eat," I told her and she nodded.
Of course I was concerned about Oliver, and I knew he was in good hands. Aubs needed to take it off of her mind, even if for only a few hours.
"So when do you think you'll want the wedding to be? And we have to pick a place..." I started, pulling her thoughts elsewhere.
"Well, not this summer or during the season.. Maybe next summer?" she asked, unsure of the idea.
"That sounds good. Would you want it here or Sorel or what?"
Aubrie shrugged.
"I kinda thought maybe someplace different? But I would have no problem if it were in Halifax or wherever.."
"Well, we've got plenty of time to decide, that's for sure," I said, making her smile.
"I'm excited for this," Aubrie told me, taking a sip of her water. Since I was drinking, she was my designated driver.
"Me too," I grinned.
"Oh, and you know how you said that it wasn't the best time when you, you know.. Proposed?" she asked, almost unable to say the word.
"Yeah? It was weird, wasn't it? I knew I should have waited.."
"No! It was the perfect time. I couldn't have imagined it any better."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost lost the function to think when I saw that you had updated!! Loved it, as usual. I'm sorry, I would not have given up my side of the bed for Stanley!

-elle

MizzMalkin said...

I love I love I love .
<3

Anonymous said...

PLEASE UPDATE!!!! dont leave us hanging!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WHY HAVEN'T YOU UPDATED YET....THIS STORY IS REALLY GOOD!!! I CHECK IT LIKE 5 TIMES A DAY TO SEE IF YOU UPDATED IT YET.

parks♥ said...

I'm slowly but surely working on the next chapter.
I haven't been feeling it lately though.

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

I'm a tad behind, but I've been at Air Force basic training for the last two months and now that I'm at tech school I could finally read this amazing piece of literature.

I love the two of them, I love Marc, I love the Cup! I hope that Ollie is okay and I can't wait for more.