Sunday, February 28, 2010

SKATE YOUR LANE;; ONEHUNDRED [!!!]

ONE HUNDRED:

Sidney and I were in full on plan mode.
We had decided that everything would take place at the house on the lake, and it would be gorgeous.
It was going to be a small wedding and I couldn't be happier.
A few weeks had gone by, and I could tell Sidney was feeling stressed.
He was laying on the floor in the living room and messing around with Oliver, who was investigating Sidney curiously and pulling at his hair.
"So we need to send out the invitations, but we need a date. When do you feel like marrying me?" I asked from the couch. I had papers and forms and everything I needed spread out on the coffee table.
"Any day is fine. Pick one," he answered.
"Sid, this is kind of important. You don' thave any date in mind?"
"I'm sure whatever you pick will be fine."
"Are you serious?"
"What do you want me to say, Aubrie? I'm not in the mood right now," he snapped at me and Oliver fell onto his chest accidentally.
"We both know that this was gonna be stressful. Do you want to push it back to next summer so we can take our time?"
"I don't know.. I do, but I don't," Sidney sighed, moving Oliver off of him, but Ollie wouldn't leave Sid alone.
I saw Oliver standing, then all of a sudden he was on his bottom, a look of surprise on his little face.
"Sidney! Did you just push him?" I gaped, getting off the couch and scooping Oliver up in my arms.
Sidney ran a hand through his hair, sighing.
"I'm sorry.."
"I think you need to go take your frustrations out in the yard. We'll talk about this later," I told him firmly.

I took Oliver upstairs to play and I watched Sidney taking shots at targets he had previously set up out back.
It didn't bother me that he was rough with Ollie.. Sometimes the little guy practically begged to rough house with us.
I hated that Sid took his annoyance out on his son though.. Maybe it was best to wait until next summer to get married.
While Sidney was out shooting pucks, I called Carey as I kept Oliver entertained.
"Aubrie! Long time no talk," he greeted, making me smile.
"Hey Carey. What's happening?"
He filled me in on what he had been up to. He was mainly chilling and causing a ruckus like usual.
"What's up on your end? How's the little dude?"
"He's a ball of constant energy. It's ridiculous," I laughed, watching Oliver motor around the room on all fours.
"How are things with Sid? I saw the proposal.. It was everywhere."
Sidney didn't realize that NBC had been there to tape the entire thing; it aired on ESPN, TSN and everything in between.
"He's stressed. We were going to get married next summer, but we decided to bump it up to the end of this one.."
"Planning isn't going smoothly, huh?" Carey could read my mind.
"Nope," I shook my head, "Oliver don't go in there."
The boy was curiously peeking into the bathroom, but upon hearing my warning he wandered away from it.
"Does he know his name?" Carey asked me.
"I think so.. He seems to know when we address him or talk about him, because he perks up and looks at us."
"Babies are little geniuses," he mused, "I want one!"
"That's what my brother said. I told him he would change his mind after a day of taking care of Oliver by himself."
"I'd be up for that challenge," Carey laughed.
"Maybe you two can take it on together.. See how you do.."
"I accept your challenge. Tell Marc that he's gotta be the chick in our relationship though."
"Oh, okay Carey," I rolled my eyes as I laughed.
Oliver came over, sitting at my feet and staring at me.
"Hey baby boy!" I smiled brightly, hearing Carey chuckle on the other line.
"Oh, so you're invited to Oliver's birthday bash!"
"Really? Cause I'm definitely gonna be there. You having it on his actual birthday?" he asked and Sidney walked into the bedroom, his face red and covered in sweat.
"I'm gonna take a shower," he muttered, heading into the bathroom and closing the door.
"Was that Sid?"
"Yeah, it was. Uh. Oliver's party will be on his birthday. We're gonna mail out invites or something.. I don't know."
"You're stressed out too," Carey mused.
"Of course I am. Sidney obviously doesn't want to help plan our wedding, so I have to figure everything out," I sighed.
"Well you know you can always push it back.. Don't cause any stress where you don't have to. Hell, we can pull a Wedding Singer and I'll come help you!" he offered, which made me smile.
"I'll keep that in mind. I need to put Oliver down for a nap then talk to Sid."
"Ok, call me later."
"Will do." We said bye, then hung up.
"Come on Ollie, let's take a nap!" I picked him up and went to put him in bed for a well deserved naptime.

I quickly made a few sandwiches for lunch before Sidney came down stairs, and we sat at the kitchen table in silence.
"Did you think about it?" I asked quietly, picking at my chips.
"Yeah.. I want to get married this summer. But-" he cut himself off, making me nervous, "I traded my day with the Cup in September for my birthday and I want to do something huge for Cole Harbour."
"Oh.. I see," I nodded.
"And Ollie's birthday is the day after mine. Then when would our wedding be?" Sidney asked.
"I don't know," I sighed, trying to sort everything out in my mind.
"Maybe we can do it right before the season starts, between training camp and opening day," I suggested.
"Let's just have you, me, Oliver and like thirty people including family come on August fifteenth, then we'll have a week between birthdays and the big day."
"If you're up for the crazy, hectic stress, by all means.. But you can't take your feelings out on Ollie like you did earlier," I warned.
"I know.. I'm sorry about that. I wasn't thinking," he apologized and I could tell he meant it.
"Good. Well, once we're done eating we can get back to work. Carey even offered to help if we needed it."
"We just might," Sidney laughed, "I'm so ready for this.

Over the next week, Sid and I got so much done that it was surprising. We mailed out our invitations for Oliver's birthday and our wedding, we got most of the details hammered out and I was feeling pretty good.
We decided to have a small party for Oliver, because it would be a lot easier to deal with.
I found out that Marc-Andre had his day with the Cup on August sixth, and I had to be in Sorel then quick head to Cole Harbour for Sid's day, then host Oliver's birthday.
Sidney had really come into his role as a dad, taking a lot of the stress off of me, and I could tell both Oliver and Sid were benefiting from it.
"So, are you gonna be ok with leaving us here on our own for a day?" Sid asked as he fed Oliver while I made our dinner one night.
"Of course. You guys will have a blast. And if you have any problems, you can just call me."
"I won't have to. We're gonna have an awesome, issue-free time," Sidney smiled, "Aren't we, Oll?"

As we got more and more of the planning done, things became easier for us. We weren't snapping at each other or feeling resentful, which was great for our relationship.
Spending our mornings out on the dock and our afternoons taking Oliver around town, Sidney and I both had glowing tans and were well rested.
This was turning out to be one of the best summers.
"Hey, let's go take Maggie her invitation!" I said to Sid on the first of July.
I wanted his neighbor to attend because she was the sweetest woman ever and helped me through some tough times the last time I was out in Halifax.
I grabbed the envelope while Sid got Oliver and we walked over to her house after lunch.
I rang the doorbell, expecting to see the familiar, bright-eyed woman.
Instead, a man in his mid or late thirties answered.
"Uh, is Maggie here?" I asked hesitantly.
"No, I'm sorry," he replied.
"When will she be back?" Sid questioned, "We live next door.."
"I know. Maggie passed away in January. I'm her son, Ralph."
"Oh.. We're very sorry for your loss," I managed to blurt out," We'll be on our way then.."

While we walked back to the house, Sidney took my hand and squeezed it gently.
"You gonna be ok?" he asked, adjusting Oliver in his other arm.
"Yeah, I guess. She was an amazing woman."
"I know," he tol me and we went into the house.
Sid put Oliver in his play pen and pulled me into a comforting hug.
"Thanks," I muttered into his neck as he rubbed my back.
"Anytime. It's what I'm here for," he answered, giving me a quick kiss.

7 comments:

musiclovr101 said...

sid didnt ur mother ever tell u not to push babies it was the lesson after no KICKING babies.... sweet update

i hope the wedding goes off w/o a hitch!!!

heleneli said...

Congratulations on 100 chapters! You did an amazing job. SYL is one of the first fanfic I read and since then, I'm hooked!

Lexi said...

First congrats on 100 chapters!!! Sooo amazing(:

"Babies are little geniuses," he mused, "I want one!"
"That's what my brother said. I told him he would change his mind after a day of taking care of Oliver by himself."
"I'd be up for that challenge," Carey laughed.
"Maybe you two can take it on together.. See how you do.."
"I accept your challenge. Tell Marc that he's gotta be the chick in our relationship though."
^^ahhhhmazing line<33
haha I love Carey and I loved that he's like babies are such geniuses, I want one!
Such a guy thought to think about how cool a baby would be and not the work behind it all. Very funny

and uhh, Sid no pushing babies. Come on now bud, its really not that hard to figure out. haha

I love this story and I hope they can get married without killing each other

haleys_famous_ said...

ugh. life hates me.
seems everything i read has to deal with death!
but it was a good chapter! sidney needs punched some days though haha.

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

One hundred chapters, congrats!

Great update, I'm so glad that things are getting better, and less stressful I'm sure the wedding will be amazing!

I love Carey, 'Tell Marc that he's gotta be the chick in our relationship though.' Amazing.

I can't wait for more. =]

Celiaaa ♥ said...

100 great chapters, and looking forward to 100 great more. (if you're up to it parker!) = )

really loved the phone conversation carey & aubs had. made me laugh out loud. literally. i was in the car reading and my family stared. lol.

can't wait for the next one!

Kapil Gidwani said...

http://punetop10.blogspot.in/